Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
Get Advice From A Lawyer 978-744-7774
Menu Contact

Man sent to prison for refusing to pay child support

Many Massachusetts parents who have gone through a divorce rely on the financial support paid to them by their former spouses in order to provide for their children. However, there are some individuals who are either unable to make their child support payments, or who simply refuse to do so. What some might not know is that a person who fails to pay court-ordered child support could be sent to prison.

One out-of-state man has recently been sentenced to prison for failing to make his child support payments. The court decided that he will serve between 12 and 32 months in prison and pay back child support. When he was sentenced, the man owed more than $20,000 in payments. 

It was revealed that this man was, in fact, financially capable of making the court-ordered child support payments. Unfortunately, he chose to neglect the needs of his children. He was given multiple opportunities to make his payments by the state of Nevada, but he refused to do so.

Fortunately, most parents do what they can to financially support their children. Parents living in Massachusetts who are going through a divorce, or parents who are struggling to collect or make child support payments, may benefit from contacting an attorney. Attorneys may be able to help clients who are struggling to make their support payments to get the amounts of those payments adjusted to better fit their income. They may also be able to assist clients who are not receiving court-ordered payments needed to provide for their children. 

Source: kolotv.com, "Man gets prison for not paying child support", Oct. 30, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Reach Out To A Lawyer

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response


Office Location:

Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
70 Washington Street, Suite 402
Salem, MA 01970

Phone: 978-744-7774
Salem Law Office Map

office map