Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
Get Advice From A Lawyer 978-744-7774
Menu Contact

Seeking guardianship of children? A lawyer may be of assistance

Children are an important part of many peoples’ lives and most parents will do whatever they can to stay a part of their lives. There are times however when a parent is not able to care for his or her kids. When that happens, the children will need to be cared for by someone else.

Just who the new caretaker will be depends on the circumstances. Sometimes a family member or close friend will decide to undertake the responsibility of caring for the child and provide his or her basic needs. If you are in that situation, to make such a relationship formal, you may want to seek guardianship of that child. The process of obtaining guardianship involves petitioning the court.

The prospect of dealing with a court can be daunting. While in many cases the process will be straightforward, it is often a good idea to consult a lawyer regarding the matter. After assessing your situation that person can help prepare the petition for guardianship and determine what supporting documents are necessary to make a case. In addition, should the need arise for a court hearing, he or she can also represent you.

There are many reasons why a parent may not be able to care for a child. While in some cases they are unwilling to do so, in other situations they simply cannot due to factors such as incarceration, mental health issues, alcoholism or drug abuse. Regardless of the situation prompting a guardianship petition, deciding to care for a child that is not your own is an admirable undertaking that could be the best thing that happens to him or her and could dramatically change their life. For more information regarding establishing guardianships please see or website.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Reach Out To A Lawyer

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response


Office Location:

Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
70 Washington Street, Suite 402
Salem, MA 01970

Phone: 978-744-7774
Salem Law Office Map

office map