Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
Get Advice From A Lawyer 978-744-7774
Menu Contact

Man uses deceased brother's name to avoid child support warrant

Eighteen years ago, a man from Massachusetts moved to Florida. The now-51-year-old knew he had a warrant for child support out of Massachusetts, so he started using his brother's name. His brother had passed away in 1963 while still a baby.

About three years after his southerly move, the man said he started to abuse drugs, with crack cocaine being the drug to which he was most partial. It took another two years before he was arrested on a traffic stop for possessing cocaine. In July 1996, he was put on probation in Florida, but didn't feel as though he could stay clean in Florida. He fled the state, thereby violating the terms of his probation, and he returned to Massachusetts.

After being back in Massachusetts for a month -- and using his real name again -- he was arrested on the child support warrant. He spent a month behind bars. In 2004, he returned to Florida again and was eventually arrested on the Florida probation warrant.

Non-payment of child support doesn't go away. It can't be discharged in bankruptcies. The court may modify the payments, but in most cases, the amount in arrears will not be reduced.

Those who depend on child support are often unsure if or when they will ever receive the payments as they are supposed to. While this man's arrest may seem arbitrary, there are means available to help collect child support that is owed.

An attorney experienced in Massachusetts family law can provide more information for parents who need to determine the best way for collecting child support payments that are in arrears.

Source: Ocala Star Banner, "Inmate confesses to using dead brother's name" Austin L. Miller, Aug. 29, 2014

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Reach Out To A Lawyer

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response


Office Location:

Koiles Pratt Family Law Group
70 Washington Street, Suite 402
Salem, MA 01970

Phone: 978-744-7774
Salem Law Office Map

office map