Obtaining A Guardianship In Massachusetts

When a parent can no longer care for a child, another family member can seek to obtain a guardianship for that child. In some cases, a nonfamily member may seek to obtain a guardianship. A guardianship is a heavy responsibility, in that it places legal responsibility for the child in the hands of the guardian.

At Koiles Pratt Family Law Group, we place a priority on helping our clients provide for the needs of children. Our firm helps grandparents, siblings and other family members obtain guardianships over vulnerable children when the natural parents are unable or unwilling to care for their children. We also represent clients in disputes involving contested guardianships.

For more information and a consultation about a child guardianship matter, contact Koiles Pratt Family Law Group, Our office is located in Salem, and we represent clients throughout the Greater Boston area.

Helping Families In Crisis

Some parents are simply not able to fulfill their parental responsibilities due to drug abuse, alcoholism, mental health issues or incarceration. At this point, the responsibility falls on a concerned relative to take charge. If the child is living with you at home, you are already providing for the basic needs of the child. You should also consider formalizing that relationship through a guardianship.

Our family law firm has helped many people obtain guardianships over minor children. We will review your case, prepare the guardianship petition and supporting documents, and represent you in court hearings. In many cases, this process is routine and we can accomplish your goal in an efficient and cost-effective manner.

Contact A Lawyer

Contact Koiles Pratt Family Law Group, for a consultation.