Modifying Child Custody

At Koiles Pratt Family Law Group, our attorneys have served countless Massachusetts parents in modifying their original child custody orders. Before seeking a custody order modification, you should understand the circumstances required to request one.

When Custody Orders Can Be Modified

Custody orders can be modified in the case of a "material and substantial change in the circumstances of the parties," or if it is in the child's best interests. Examples of material and substantial changes include:

  • A noncustodial parent demonstrates an improvement in finances, health or living conditions.
  • A child has either changed or is requesting a change of the time they spend with either parent.
  • Either parent wants to relocate within Massachusetts or out-of-state.
  • A custodial parent interferes with the noncustodial parent's visitation rights.
  • A custodial parent is unable to care for the child due to chemical dependency or failing mental or physical health.
  • The parties agree to a modification.

Call Us Today To Begin The Modification Process

Our experienced family law lawyers are here to address your rights and your child's best interests. You can schedule a case assessment at our Salem office by calling 978-744-7774 or sending us a message online.